Examining The Process For Obtaining A Social Security Card Name Change

Examining The Process For Obtaining A Social Security Card Name Change

If you live and work in the United States, you need a social security card and number. Without this document, you will find it tremendously difficult to find work, obtain a place of residence and apply for government assistance. Unfortunately, there will come a time, when you may need to replace your card. If you need to have a social security card name change, you will need to go through a lengthy process and will be required to submit the appropriate documents. More details will be provided below.

Reasons For A Name Change

Although many people do not think about it, the majority of individuals will actually change their names, at least once. There are numerous reasons for changing your name, but the most common include getting married and getting divorced. Women commonly take their partner’s name, when they get married. When getting divorced, they can opt to reclaim their last name, if desired. When this change takes place, the name will differentiate from that on the Social Security Card, so it too will need to be changed.

Also, some individuals will change their names for other purposes. Remember that, if you do, you will need to also make changes to your social security card.

Repercussions of Failing To Fix Your Card

If you fail to correct your social security card, you could run into an abundance of problems. You could run into delays, when attempting to file your income taxes. At the same time, an incorrect social security card could result in wages being posted incorrectly to your social security record. With this in mind, rectifying the problem immediately is highly recommended. As soon as your name changes, you should also take actions to fix your social security card.

What Is Needed

In order to fix your card, you will need a number of different documents. The required documents will vary depending on your citizenship status. Those that have been born in the United States will need documents, which prove their citizenship. You can use a birth certificate or your United States passport for this specific purpose. At the same time, you will need to prove that your name change has legally taken place. Below, you will find a list of documents, which can be used for this purpose.

  • Marriage records
  • Your divorce decree
  • A court order for the change
  • Certificate of Naturalization with your new name

You will also need to prove your identity. This can be done with a United States driver’s license or passport. If you do not have access to these documents, you can use a military, school or employee identification card instead.

The Final Step

After you’ve obtained everything that is needed, you will need to move to the last step. You should head to the official website of the Social Security Administration. Once you’ve landed on their site, you will be able to download and print the SS-5 Form. This form must be filled out in its entirety and mailed back to the Social Security Administration, in order to obtain a new card.