How To Get A Social Security Card Name Change

How To Get A Social Security Card Name Change 

If you are planning on getting married, you will need to apply for a social security card name change. There are several ways to get a replacement card, but you will need to take the proper steps to ensure that you complete the form and provide the appropriate documents to the Social Security Administration. Below you will discover a few tips that will help you get a corrected social security card.

Marriage or Divorce  

If you have your name changed legally through a divorce, marriage, or legally through a court order, you will need to apply for a new social security card. If the reason that you need a new social security card is listed above, you will need to provide the Social Security Administration with certified documents that show proof that your name has been changed. A marriage certificate, divorce decrement, or court order documents are required.

No Photocopies 

The SSA will reject any applications that are submitted with photocopies of certified documents. If you are concerned about losing your personal documents, you should take a copy of them, before mailing them to SSA or apply in person at one of the local offices. If you decide to apply in person, you will need to obtain an appointment to speak with a representative. You can do this by visiting the SSA website or calling the local office.

Filing for a Relative or Spouse 

If you are filing on behalf of a relative or spouse, you will need to provide the representative with your proof of identity. A driver’s license, social security number, or birth certificate will be acceptable, but if you have all of these documents in your possession, you should take them with you to the SSA office. You must prove that you are kin to the applicant, so a marriage certificate may also be needed.


If you are in need of a corrected social security card, you will be happy to learn that this service is provided to all American citizens for free of charge. Never try to apply online, because applications for a new, replacement, or corrected social security card are not accepted. The reason for this is because the SSA needs genuine proof that your name has been changed legally.

Unexpired Identity Document 

If your name was changed two-four years prior to you applying for a corrected social security card, you will need to provide evidence of a legal name change, along with an identity document. The document must include your prior name, so the representative will know that you are who you are claiming to be.


If you fail to apply for your corrected social security card in a timely manner, you may end up facing long delays in your tax returns, social security benefits, and wage processing. It is best to take the responsibility and apply as soon as it is necessary.


It is important to note that if for reason the SSA representative is not satisfied with the documents you provided, your application may very well be rejected. If you have any questions, be sure to visit the SSA website or local office.